Welcome to the first week of Campus Pressbox’s official mock playoff committee. Every Tuesday I’ll be publishing the top 10 based on a group vote.
Tim Bach (@Tbach84)
Kristen Botica (@OGKristenB)
Damien Bowman (@damienbowman)
Mitch Gatzke (@GreatGatzke)
Cooper Goetz (@uf_goetz)
Cole Hankins (@Cole_Hankins)
John Horlander (@John_Horlander)
Seth Merenbloom (@SethMerenbloom)
Evan Skilliter (@Skilliter)
Ben Belden (@bbelden330), Writer- Slap the Sign
Each week, committee members will submit their top 10 teams and each team will receive points based on their position. The team’s will be ranked 1-10 based on which has the most points. Ties will be broken by which team has the highest votes in a specific position.
Points are assigned as follow: first place – 10, second place – 9, third place – 8, fourth place – 7, fifth place – 6, sixth place – 5, seventh place – 4, eighth place – 3, ninth place – 2, tenth place – 1.
Week 9 Results:
|Place||Team||Points||First Place Votes|
|Peach||No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Clemson|
|Fiesta||No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 3 Washington|
New Year’s Six:
|Orange||Louisville vs.||ACC vs. Big Ten, Big 12 or SEC|
|Cotton||At Large vs. At Large|
|Rose||Ohio State vs. Utah||Big Ten vs. Pac-12|
|Sugar||Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M||Big 12 vs. SEC|
Notes and Observations:
- There were three clear groups of teams.
- The undefeated front-runners, consisting of the teams that received 1st or 2nd place votes (Alabama, Michigan, Washington, and Clemson)
- The Contenders, consisting of the teams that peaked at 4th, 5th or 6th place votes (Louisville, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, and Auburn)
- The Long shots, who, at best, received 7th place votes (Florida, Nebraska, and LSU)
- Wisconsin and Auburn seem to be the most likely candidates for the Orange Bowl Big Ten/Big 12/SEC at large spot.
- LSU, No. 15, was the lowest ranked team in the AP Poll to receive a vote. The Tigers jumped 3 Big 12 teams (Oklahoma, Baylor, West Virginia), none of which received a single vote. LSU’s single 10th place vote was courtesy of Seth.
This Saturday’s Marquee Matches
No. 10 Florida @ Arkansas (3:30 P.M.)
Nebraska @ No. 6 Ohio State (8 P.M.)
No. 1 Alabama @ LSU (8 P.M.)
For transparency, here is how each member of the committee voted this week:
E-mail Cooper at [email protected] or follow him on twitter @uf_goetz
Comment on this and every article by becoming a Campus Pressbox Insider.